Sunday, August 14, 2011

Rockin' it Southern Style

As my siblings all know, I played piano for many years when I was younger but quit when I was in high school and never looked back, despite many threats by my parents that I would one day regret it.  Well...I haven't.  But I have been thinking for several years about learning a new instrument, and recently I finally did something about it. 

I'm taking fiddle lessons - I think I've had about 5 or 6 lessons since June.  I can now play about 3 1/2 songs very slowly!! :)  It has been fun learning to play something new.  I like listening to bluegrass - Matt and I listen to it a lot on his XM radio when we travel - so I am learning some bluegrass songs. 

My teacher (who is only 16!) is in a local bluegrass band and we went to watch her band a few weeks ago.  She keeps telling me I sound good but I think I'm pretty squeaky most of the time.  Speaking of that, I better go practice now - I've got a lesson in 2 days!

1 comment:

  1. Annie,
    I have to admit I'm quite surprised by this. How does Roy feel about your fiddle? You are certainly embracing the North Carolinian lifestyle!
    TT

    ReplyDelete